Always on, mobile is the focus for marketers today.
We can never be seen without our mobile phones, some of us might even have 2 or more. But what is the impact of our obsession with mobile on the media industry? There is no doubt that mobile has become the more dominant device. Google mentioned some statistics at Google Marketing Live that certainly stuck with us:
- Relevancy drives results – “91% of smartphone owners bought or plan to buy something after seeing an ad that they described as relevant”
- Travel Industry – “4.5x as often, travellers turn to mobile recommendations”
- Local Search – “3 in 4 people who conduct a local search on their smartphone visit a related business within 24hrs”
1. Create mobile-friendly text ads
Having ads which can dominate more space on the SERP (Search Engine Results Page) will be beneficial. Rather than using text ads which can only take over a couple of lines use expanded text ads. They give you more space to sell your business and offers to users whilst also taking up more digital space compared to your competitors. Google has also recently added more copy to the expanded text ads, which we will cover later in this series.
This is a simple change but highly effective as your ad will now stand out, so get ready with some more copy ideas as you’ve got double the space to play with!
2. Include ad extensions which are perfect for mobile
Ad extensions are a brilliant addition to any ad, however, there are a couple which work effortlessly on mobile. They not only make the process easier for the user – saving them time, but give you, the advertiser, better chance of conversion.
- Sitelinks extensions – let the user skip to exactly where they want to be, whether that be your enquiry page or your red dress category. This will save the user time to consider other options.
- Call extensions – if you have a phone number, then allow users to call straight from the ad. Google has also stated that call extensions improve click-through rates by 4-5%.
- Location extensions – have a physical location? Showcase it! More mobile users are searching for products and businesses near them, so why not show your location with your ad. They’ll be able to easily find your store using Google maps without visiting your site.
3. Consider using IF-statements for device-specific ad copy
One of the key ways to make your ads more personal and impactful on users is to use IF-functions. Using this function has proved to have a positive impact on click-through rates and conversions due to the personalisation available.
IF-statements can be used for device specific changes, so instead of saying: “Free Shipping on All Orders”. You can instead say: “Free Shipping on All Mobile Orders”. By making the ad copy relatable to mobile users they are going to feel more valued by the adverts and result in a higher CTR.
4. Optimise your landing page for mobile users
Mobile users want quicker, clearer and easier results. This means landing pages need to be straight to the point and match what the ad promotes. Ensuring your site is mobile responsiveness is the easiest way to ensure users are receiving a positive experience when they click on your ad.
Your site will need to load quickly, be easy to navigate and simple to act. Buttons and forms need to be appropriately sized and text needs to be readable without zooming in. If users visit your site and it’s not mobile ready they will return straight back to the SERP without a shadow of a doubt.
We have been breaking down Google’s latest updates and innovations in our Google Series. If you missed out on our previous posts, we summarised all the updates released during the Google Marketing Live 2018 and discussed Smart Bidding. Curious about how to effectively apply an audience strategy? Then keep your eyes peeled for part 4.